Garmin G5 vs G6
A Product Comparison from GolfRangefinderShop.com
Garmin G5 vs G6 (Garmin Approach Series Golf GPS)
- The overall ratings are slightly higher for the Garmin G6, but both units score extremely well.
- The Garmin G5 is significantly larger and weighs twice as much as the G6. The G5 weighs in at 6.8 ounces.
- The Garmin G6 is preloaded with 29,500+ golf courses worldwide, while the Garmin G5 has only 19,500+ North and Latin American courses.
- The Garmin G6 claims to have large, bright, high-contrast grahpics. Users seem to agree that it is brighter than the G5.
- The Garmin G6 has Layup Arcs which show how far to the 100, 150, 200 and 250 yard markers (even if there are no markers on the course). This assists in determining where to layup.
- Garmin G6 has scoring options for Stroke Play, Stableford, Skins and Match Play with adjustable handicaps. The G5 only has traditionaly scoring for up to four players.
- The Garmin G5 takes 2 AA batteries. You'll probably want two sets of rechargeables, so you can keep a backup set in the bag. The G6 has a rechargeable Li-Poly battery, so it requires that you charge it up every few rounds. We suggest users keep an Anker Astro Backup External Battery Pack Charger in the bag, just in case.
Both the Garmin G5 and the Garmin G6
- get up to 15 hours of battery life
- are waterproof (IPX7 – Protected against water immersion – Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.)
- have auto course recognition
- have auto hole advance
- are capable of measuring shot distances
- have touch screens and touch targeting
- have Green View, which zooms in on the green so you can tap the location where you think the pin is and show distance to that exact spot
- have digital scorecards and stat trackers
- full hole views
- no fees and free updates
Garmin G5 and Garmin G6 Side by Side Features