A Product Comparison from GolfRangefinderShop.com
- The overall ratings are slightly higher for the Garmin G6, but both units score extremely well.
- The Garmin G5 is significantly larger and weighs twice as much as the G6. The G5 weighs in at 6.8 ounces.
- The Garmin G6 is preloaded with 29,500+ golf courses worldwide, while the Garmin G5 has only 19,500+ North and Latin American courses.
- The Garmin G6 claims to have large, bright, high-contrast grahpics. Users seem to agree that it is brighter than the G5.
- The Garmin G6 has Layup Arcs which show how far to the 100, 150, 200 and 250 yard markers (even if there are no markers on the course). This assists in determining where to layup.
- Garmin G6 has scoring options for Stroke Play, Stableford, Skins and Match Play with adjustable handicaps. The G5 only has traditionaly scoring for up to four players.
- The Garmin G5 takes 2 AA batteries. You’ll probably want two sets of rechargeables, so you can keep a backup set in the bag. The G6 has a rechargeable Li-Poly battery, so it requires that you charge it up every few rounds.
- get up to 15 hours of battery life
- are waterproof (IPX7 – Protected against water immersion – Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.)
- have auto course recognition
- have auto hole advance
- are capable of measuring shot distances
- have touch screens and touch targeting
- have Green View, which zooms in on the green so you can tap the location where you think the pin is and show distance to that exact spot
- have digital scorecards and stat trackers
- full hole views
- no fees and free updates
|Model||Garmin Approach G5||Garmin Approach G6|
|Price||Not Available||Check Price|
|Height||4.5 in.||3.7 in.|
|Width||2.3 in.||2.1 in.|
|Depth||1.4 in.||.8 in.|
|Resolution||240×400||160 x 240|
|Display Type||TFT color||Transreflec ColorTFT|
|Weight||6.8 oz.||3.37 oz.|
|Battery||2 AA||Rechargeable Li-Poly|
|Battery Life||15 hrs. max||up to 15 hrs.|
|High Sensitivity Receiver||Yes||Yes|
|Pre-loaded with Courses||Yes||Yes|
|Instant Course Recognition||Yes||Yes|
|Auto Hole Advance||Yes||Yes|
|Manual Pin Positioning||Yes||Yes|
|Computer Analysis Tools||Yes||Yes|
|USGA Compliant (local rule)||Yes||Yes, if Club Averages feature is not used.|
|Ability to Add Targets||N/A||Yes|
|Aerial Hole View||Yes||Yes|
|Green Rotates to your shot angle||N/A||Yes|
|Measure Shot Distance||Yes||Yes|
|Magnify Hole View||Yes||Yes|
|# of Available Courses||19,500+||29,500+|
|Add Courses Manually||No||N/A|
|Course Download Fees||No||No|